How does the Tip Product work? Troubleshooting Steps for your Tip Product
TipGenius works in the following way:
- A new and unique Tip Product is automatically created for you whenever you install TipGenius and we link TipGenius to this Tip product.
- This product is a digital product that does not require shipping or fulfillment.
- TipGenius is a cart-based app. It automatically detects the checkout button on your cart page or popup, and then provides a pop-up to let you prompt a user to add a tip or donation before automatically proceeding to checkout when they choose an tipping amount option.
- This product defaults to map to $1 USD so that you can add tip amounts based on a quantity of this product (e.g. $5 = 5 Tip products).
- We also provide a currency conversion mode so that this works in your store's native currency
- So for example, if a user chooses the $5 tip -- then we add a tip product line item with a quantity of 5 to the checkout.
A few notes:
- You can delete or modify the existing tip products before you re-install TipGenius - we create a new one for you that we link to when you install us again.
- if you modify this Tip product then it's something that could show up in your inventory like any active products that you have in your store or cause TipGenius to not function as expected. For example, if the tip product was modified to be tracking inventory, then there could be instances where there wouldn't be inventory to add it to the cart.
1. Does your TipGenius pop-up appear when you click on checkout in your cart? If no, review these Troubleshooting Steps with your cart since TipGenius isn't detecting your checkout button. If you already have the Tip Product in your cart, the TipGenius pop-up does not appear.
2. If the pop-up appears, when you click on a tip $ button, do you proceed successfully to checkout? If no, then you may have a third-party application or a theme compatibility issue that prevents TipGenius from either proceeding to checkout or adding the Tip Product to your cart.
3. If you successfully go to the checkout page, do you see your Tip Product added to your cart? If no, then you have likely modified your Tip Product (e.g. its inventory tracking status). In your TipGenius settings you can access the Tip product that is automatically created for you — this is what gets added to the cart before checkout:
The Tip product by default is one that does not have inventory tracked and is not a physical product (e.g. see these settings below)